Always Crashing In The Same Car

OK – another song another story – let’s talk clash detection for minute. Aim is to clash walls from one file – basement of a rather handsomely large structure with sitework.

Files are OpenBIM and Revit and you know what, so first approach was to use IFC based tools to figure out what (t** f***) is going on.

Take Tekla BIMSight as an example – what you get is:Noname.png

Oh well – now I know more – does that help me how to track down real clashes?

After a few experiments in Navisworks I came back to good ole’ Revit, probably because I know the tool best.

So – how we get the IFCs into Revit? ArchiCAD to the rescue – their Export to Revit nails it (don’t even bother to directly open those IFCs in Revit – but that is another blogpost so stay tuned). Workflow is to open the IFC in ArchiCAD and the export to Revit – cool isn’t it (caution – sarcasm ahead)

Noname

By that workflow two Revit files got created – so the smaller one gets linked into the bigger one and – bang – here we are, visibility settings adjusted:

Noname

Now we put Dynamo into place

Noname

Next we have a dedicated 3D view of each clash to apply human eye scrutiny

Noname

And life inches in to be good – next step is to actually get the clash geometry to clean up false positives but that is stuff for some other day…

Advertisements

Brown Paper Bag

As you might agree – stairs in Revit as – sometimes – a bit tricky…

Capture

Now that we have in-place stairs, we could amend a situation like that utilize them but – wouldn’t it be greater to have a loadable component family instead?

Here is the Dynamo that does the magic…

Capture

And here is the result:Capture

Looks better – now here is the family:

Capture

All editable geometry glory…

Capture

And life is good…

Wow, the engine’s really load

Another day, another challenge – we’re on a quite interesting model right now that we need to get computing in a structural analysis package. The analytical model looks like this:

Noname

It looks like a steam cooker and for the sake of the conversation let’s refer to it as a steam cooker. Challenge is that we have some walls in there that we don’t want to have in the analysis package but still we’ll want to have their weight represented as loads in the analytical model.

Turing of the analytical model for those guys – nope. They just fade away.

 

So the idea is – and stay with us here – this is ongoing – is to analyse all walls with the analytical model being turned off and get their Start-/Endpoints, calculate the load from their volume and generate a line load in the model using Dynamo.

The prototype to this looks like this:

Noname

The code in the Python:

import clr
clr.AddReference(‘RevitAPI’)
from Autodesk.Revit.DB import *
from Autodesk.Revit.DB.Structure import *

clr.AddReference(“RevitNodes”)
import Revit
clr.ImportExtensions(Revit.GeometryConversion)
clr.ImportExtensions(Revit.Elements)

clr.AddReference(“RevitServices”)
import RevitServices
from RevitServices.Persistence import DocumentManager
from RevitServices.Transactions import TransactionManager

doc = DocumentManager.Instance.CurrentDBDocument

dataEnteringNode = IN
startPs = IN[0].ToXyz()
endPs = IN[1].ToXyz()
force = IN[2].ToXyz()
moment = IN[3].ToXyz()
LLType = UnwrapElement(IN[4])
plane = IN[5]

TransactionManager.Instance.EnsureInTransaction(doc)
lineloads = LineLoad.Create(doc,startPs,endPs,force,moment,LLType[0],plane)
TransactionManager.Instance.TransactionTaskDone()

OUT = lineloads

And that is not my wisdom, I am referring to other brilliant minds work here.

But we got the picture, next sequel is how to replace the code block with actual values from the model – so stay tuned.

And life is good…

She’s unaware…

This is something that should only be tried at own risk – TRY AT OWN RISK…

Guilty like hell, I tend to edit my shared parameters that I need for special occasions in Excel with GUIDs that I create from this link.

Capture

So the Excel looks like this:

Noname.png

And – oh dear Revit – I get the following error this time:

Noname

Darn – turned out that it was this little line that created the fuzz:

Noname

Obviously – parameter type FAMILYTYPE can’t be created in a text edior… Bummer…

After leaving this one out all was OK…

Noname

And – not forget to mention – this Data-Shapes Dynamo node is just worth every penny – parameters attached to categories in a second – my left click finger is happy…

 

Capture.PNG

Link here.

And life is good…

What the hell is it this time again…

Building some fancy content in Revit 2018 utilizing OOTB Revit steel column families that got installed with Revit 2018.

Noname

Loaded a couple of types from the type catalog

Noname

A warning

Noname

Changing the column type resulted in nothing

Noname

After type change:

Noname

Tried with Revit 2017 German content – same thing – same warning – no type changes

Noname

Tried with Revit 2016 German content – now it works.

Noname

Quite honestly I cannot understand how our friends at Autodesk can get away with such a quality of content delivered with their product. Please do better.

Then life will be good…